Blogophilia 1.6, Meet and Greet.

A new season and a new meet and greet.  I'm going to be lazy and post the link to last years post.

So, Who Am I?

Which gives a fairly good background, but let me update.

My name still Christopher Mitchell and my Internet Handle still is Another Government Employee, but since last year I have changed jobs.  I have started a new position as a contract employee with a large government contractor.  For the past month, I have immersed myself in their paperwork and methods.  And they are just about as convoluted as the agency I used to work for.  Nothing involving government is logical and is designed to quiet the loudest constituencies only.  If you watch the news, you probably already know that.

One really nice thing about my new office is it is located between two of my favorite hiking trails and I can spend the early mornings here:




The pictures are worth a thousand words.  Fun and peace along the river I know so well.  These two were taken at the Cochran Shoals section of the Chattahoochee Nation River Park outside Atlanta.  It is popular with joggers, hikers and bikers and is a terrific place say your morning prayers for the blessing of creation.

I've been an avid urban hiker for a number of years.  I find that any place I go, there are woods to explore or streets to walk down and observe.  I generally only do day hikes, although this past year I had a wonderful opportunity to go the the Len Foote Inn outside Dahlonega for a spectacular greeting of the Sun.  One I do have planned for the future is Broadway, or Manhattan, Tip to Tip.  It's 6.2 miles from Battery Park to the Fort in Inwood.  Should be about 3 hours, but probably longer because I'll detour into Central Park at West 59th St and loop the lake. 

 The Len Foote Trip

I started writing for Blogophilia during Season Two.  I had been lurking for a few months trying to decide if I wanted to add another assignment (I was writing for the original Group Blogging Experience at the time) and I wanted to try my hand at short fiction type pieces.  I mentioned on Spidey John's naughty site, and he told me to come on over.  I don't think I've missed a week since.  There have been a few weeks where I wondered where the piece was going to come from, but I always seem to get it done.

What brings me back?  The challenge of producing a piece every week.  It is like an interior decorator who has to do a new room every week and decide if the pink and blue doilies will look good against the gun metal couch in the fuchsia room.  It allows me to work with different forms and structure and plumb my imagination for stories.  I know I have done a couple that have included brass bands and big thinkers.  I've done satirical pieces and romantic vignettes and developed several characters that serve as muses to both my lighter and darker sides.

Where to go from here?  Good question.  I have a couple of ideas.  Maybe a 100 word challenge (this is sometimes called a dribble) would be fun.  And maybe a logline prompt (a logline is a one line plot summary used in scriptwriting).  Push us a bit futher.  It's fun.




Comments

  1. Those sound like some interesting new challenges. The park pictures look lovely, what a great place to relax and enjoy nature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grew up in this neighborhood. I have done most everything you can do at river, legal and illegal. And I find myself drawn their often.

      Delete
    2. *there. (You would think I would know better)

      Delete
  2. 100 word challenge would be interesting - you listening Marvin: I'm agreeing that might be cool

    TM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did one a couple of months ago for a Blogo. The prompt perfectly laid up, which is kind of unusual. It takes a bit of thought to make one work.

      Delete
  3. eautiful pics, and love reading your work every week as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with your new job, I'd love to have those trails nearby to enjoy. I remember you on GBE, you had a post with a twist, working for Home Depot... :)

    David II

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. I started my accounting career as the 18th employee in the central office of Home Depot. That post is buried in the MySpazz archives. Over the years I've wondered where I would have been had I not left. But I have never really been much for money, really. I guess it is for the best.

      Delete
    2. Oh, and the trails are a wonderful legacy of a lawsuit against a bridge across the river in the early 1970's. Atlanta is weird about not building useful roads. But the results are fabulous.

      Delete
  5. How nice to have hiking trails right where you work. One of my hobbies is hiking too and I love your pictures. Great idea about the 100 word challenge.


    Michelle K.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a wonderful view indeed, a little bit of nirvana to temper that mound of paperwork!

    I agree with you, Blogophilia has been a way to guarantee that I at least write SOMETHING each week. I am really intrigued by the 100 word challenge. I think that'd be an excellent challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent incorporation of the prompts and the meet and greet. Just one comment. Drabbles may not be a great idea as a group thing, a logline prompt may work, though they’re hard to write as I well know. ps - I see a few in favour of drabbles - so maybe we should

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There have been form prompts in the past (usually a sonnet or etheree). It's just a thought.

      Delete
  8. Excellent write!
    I am noting any and all suggestions and I thank you for them and the opprotunity to expand our challenges! 8 points Earthling! :) And that Manhatten walk sounds intriquing! :)
    Marvin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've wanted to do it since I was in NYC with my family in 2005. I figure this would be the best way to enjoy the diversity of the city.

      Delete
  9. Meet n Greet's are always interesting and yours is no exception... I'd enjoy those hiking tracks, though I tend to amble leisurely stopping often to exercise my camera :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It depends on my mood and the season. Some days, the trails are just kind of gray. Other days the opportunities abound.

      Delete
  10. what a great location Christopher for doing an illogical job pal...lol...
    I used to take the kids hiking on the Derbyshire Dales, we used to have so much fun... mostly on a Sunday!
    When you do your Manhattan Walk make sure you take a camera Christopher... there is such a diverse cultural population on that tiny strip of land... you should get some awesome shots pal...
    The 100 word challenge sounds interesting ... great blog my friend...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was there in 2005, I got all sorts of neat shots. But one I missed was a line of Belly Dancers that were performing outside Trinity Church-Wall St. It was kind of a jarring image.

      Delete
    2. you should have used a tripod Christopher...
      its like sake sex.... you need to think ahead pal...
      ahahahahahah

      Delete
    3. No room on the sidewalk for that. You would just get run over.

      Delete
  11. Very entertaining write Christopher...and the pictures ARE worth a thousand words. so glad yo have your hiking...makes the "working for a living" part a bit easier to take. :-) DEMME

    ReplyDelete
  12. Always something to "push" and keep us on our toes...this is so detailed, loved it xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. I once wrote for GBE too. I even joined GBE2 and BFF before joining Blogophilia. It's great getting to know more about you.

    --Diana Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done a couple of things for BFF and Harmony Pub, but I also only have so much time.

      When I was unemployed, I was surprised at how little extra writing I did produce. Not sure if it was a discipline problem or I was healing. But now I am back in a cubicle, I'm actually finding it somewhat easier to write.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

In Honor of Al Jaffee

The Date (Blogophilia 13.5)

Mr. Rogers (GBE 2 101)