A Geography Lesson (Blogophilia 46.9)



We should meet in another life, we should meet in the air, me and you.
Yes. The above infographic is true. The art of Geography has gone down the tubes. Nobody really cares, really. Do we (besides Trevor) really want to know that is the United Kingdom? Of course we do because some of us (sadly, not me) have been there. Being able to determine Cardiff from Glasgow and Birmingham from Cornwall is useful information when traveling the countryside or adventure might await you in some grimy industrial wasteland, when you would rather see sheep grazing in bucolic meadows. Or you could be like me and think abandoned factories are a great place to explore. It doesn’t matter where the geography is, it’s there for the taking.
I even know the four main subdivisions (Britain, Wales, Scotland and Ulster) by sight, but I’m a bit lost when you drill it down to the individual counties. I mean, I know Cumberland and Yorkshire are north, but other than that? I guess it would be a need to know basis. Maybe I’ll get there one day.
Maybe that is the problem. It is information that most younger people don’t need to know on a day to day basis. Google Maps show where some place is, and Wikipedia can provide detail if necessary.
I’ve learned where most of the provinces of Mexico are because of my neighbors. I have never been more than 50 miles from the border, it is comforting to know when I see a license plate from Sinaloa, Michoacon or Guanajato, I have a general idea where the driver is from (rather than just somewhere over there). It makes them less of a stranger.
Isn’t that really what we all want? To meet without consequence or expectation, our messages passing freely in the air? So many times people take offense at anything. Words of violence breaking the silence. It is a power game where points are scored but nothing is won. Life is too short for that.
I’d rather enjoy the silence.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Infographic courtesy of Cracked.com (c) 2014, 2017 (I’m assuming a Creative Commons license).
Pic guesses-Love shack, LaGrange, Our House, Sweet Home Alabama, Dollhouse, Burning Down the House, Homeward Bound,

Comments

  1. There is nothing wrong with being cordial, as the best first option.

    It works for us.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

In Honor of Al Jaffee

The Date (Blogophilia 13.5)

Mr. Rogers (GBE 2 101)