I Don't Carry Cash

I don't carry cash.

The reason for this is my wife doesn't trust me not to spend on frivolous stuff like candy and beer.  She's cheap like that.  But, I don't mind.  That attitude has kept me out of debt (mostly) and better able to handle the shifts in business and life.

But occasionally it puts me in a quandary.  Last night, we ordered a pizza and I went down to Chambodia to pick it up.  As I was leaving, I was approached by homeless woman looking for change.  I put up my hands and told her I didn't have any and she went on her way.

As I said this, I got a good look at her face.  She had been pretty once. Petite and slender, her blonde hair put up on her head in a messy knot.  I saw the ravages of Methamphetamine all over her face.  As as she walked away, I felt a tinge of regret.  I knew in my heart any money would immediately go to the dealer for another 48 hours without sleep.  But I also knew she needed something or someone to point her in a new direction. Sadly, it may never happen for her.

I guess all I can do is pray. 

Comments

  1. prayer is the best thing you can do. May God move in the woman's life and bring her peace. May his love and protection be always with her. And may God also pour his blessings on you for your tender heart. God loves a heart that is tender for his children. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your heart is in the right place, mate. But yeah, never give cash to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have worked shelters and kitchens over the years. And yeah, whatever their vice of choices gets first (and last) dibs on the money.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

In Honor of Al Jaffee

The Date (Blogophilia 13.5)

Mr. Rogers (GBE 2 101)