Ramblings (Blogophilia 42.5)

I'm being lazy this week.  Can't really come up with a coherent story line or poetic epic that fits the prompts this week. And that is strange since a lot of my characters struggle with their thoughts of grandeur.  Take Jeremy from Intake and The Test.  He thinks he can change the world through a violent action.  There are very few situations where that really makes a difference.  There have been many incidents in the last year where disturbed and broken people have blocked the exits to wreak their vengeance against the perceived wrongs they have suffered.  And the only reaction has been a little more wariness amongst the populace. 

These people fascinate me.  Having come from a somewhat dysfunctional family, I can somewhat empathize with their plight. I have sometimes daydreamed revenge against those who may have wronged me.  Then I come to my senses and realize if I do that, I would never see the rainbow of hope again.  But these people that don't need to be named, feel the only option is gunfire or explosions.  They have no hope and no love.  Only anger and destruction will do. 

I  have characters that sit in the eye of the storm, like Kari Summers (MarkThe Date and the Street Light series), that act like gatekeepers to those who might escape their sorrow. Acting as a healer and an angel to help the suffering to the next level. Her actions are heroic to me.  She is who I really want to be.  Free of material concerns and available to serve humanity for the good.  I sometimes wish for the confidence to take this path.  But I always find an excuse not to.    

I look at my own writing as a sort of escape from the mundane and boring life of an office drone.  Of course, right now I am not even that.  Just another unemployed hack looking maybe to make a dollar on the process.  Maybe I'll succeed.

Who knows.  

Comments

  1. I love it when characters come to the rescue like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kept trying to get a Kari story out of it, but I couldn't quite get it to jell. I probably will succeed next week after the deadline.

      Delete
  2. You certainly succeeded very well with this challenging theme. Glad I found your piece tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lazy or not you struggled through brilliantly! 8 points Earthling1 :)
    Marvin

    ReplyDelete

  4. There are still days I dream of being an unemployed ski bum. But have never had the courage to actually go for it.

    TM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm temporarily an unemployed hiking bum. I guess that counts for something.

      Delete
  5. Here's to wishing you do. :)

    --DJ

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

In Honor of Al Jaffee

The Date (Blogophilia 13.5)

Mr. Rogers (GBE 2 101)