New Orleans (Blogophilia 42.15)


 

If you have been following along on Facebook and Instagram, you know I spent a week in that fabulous den of iniquity and corruption, New Orleans. It was a trip planned several times, each time getting postponed for one reason or another. Finally, the stars aligned.

My wife and I got the wheels moving on Sunday morning for the seven hour trip. Unlike other trips I could name, we didn't run into much traffic either there or back. Which is a nice change from my usual experience. 

So, how do you describe the city in a swamp where the dead are buried above ground?

It is a Jack-Of-All-Trades place, a combination seaport and oil town with a mix of people you won't find anywhere else. As with many other seaports, bribery is how you get things done. There are different terms for it: taxes, donations, tips... Add them all up and your travel budget just went up 15%. 

Bring folding money. None of these folks take cards. 

Yeah, I'm being a parsimonious cynic. 

It's also a city where you park the car and strap on the running shoes for some #urbanhiking. One reason is everything is convenient and they have a cheap (although creaky) streetcar system that services places people actually want to go.


But mainly because people drive like maniacs there. Seriously, stop signs are a suggestion and tourists are fair game. I paid more for parking than I paid for food, and that was a good thing. 

Of course, there is the legendary bar culture where many of the cocktails you know and love were developed.



I didn't drink that much, though. When I was walking through Vieux Carre or the Warehouse district, it was too early and I wasn't all that interested to be in the craziness after dark. 

Brunch, on the other hand, I took advantage of.  Hot Lox Omletes are to die for, as are Eggs Benedict Carnitas. I had a Breaux Bridge that kept me happy and fat all day. 


Chase that with hot Beignets and Cafe Au Lait? Who needs the Bloody Mary to snooze the rest of the afternoon? 

Not to mention the Street Festival a few blocks from the hotel.


Complete with barbequed politician.


The music wasn't entirely my taste, but it was a nice evening to hang out. We survived.

All in all, a fun week. 

I need to go back. 

But not at Mardi Gras.




Comments

  1. Looks like a great time. I'd pass on Mardi Gras as well. ~Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a good vacay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey it’s me Doris… loved this scenic tour that you verbally gave us! Glad you had fun 😄

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeehaw, two blogs in one! It looks like a fun trip to NOLA, and some delicious food as well. KUDOS Dear Earthling!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was jealous with every post! Glad y'all had a good time! 😊

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

In Honor of Al Jaffee

The Date (Blogophilia 13.5)