Two More Glasses (Blogophilia 15.3)

 I had just gotten in from work when the phone rang.

'Hey, Hoser!'" Jim was as close to being Doug McKenzie without being from Canada. 

"Yeah, Jim?"

"Want some strange brew at Good Ol' Days?"

My favorite converted Dairy Queen. It was Friday and I didn't have overtime tomorrow. Easy answer. 

"What time?" 

"About 8. Carol's coming."

I had forgotten he was dating her. That woman can't hold her liquor to save her life. I wonder how long it will be before table dance? I think for a minute

"I'll be there."

It's better than watching the game. In ten minutes I've changed shirts and ready to go. Traffic was light for once. I get to the bar early and get a table outside. Molly, my regular waitress, comes up. 

"Hey, Chirs. What will it be?"

"A pitcher and three glasses, Jim and Carol are on their way." Her face fell. She knew it wasn't going to be Patty Cake. 

"Tab or separate checks?" She already knew the answer.

"Tab."

With a sigh, she headed to the bar. 

"Yo!" 

I look up. My roommate Dave walked up with his girl, Connie. They pulled up a couple of chairs "Did Jim call you?"

"Yep. Although he didn't say anybody else is coming."

Connie piped up. "It's Carol's birthday and she doesn't know her party is going to be here."

Yeah. It's going to be an interesting night.

Molly came up with the beer. Seeing Dave and Connie rather than Jim and Sue confused her, but she set everything down. 

"Anything else?"

"Yeah, another pitcher and two more glasses."

Molly heads back to the bar while I pour the glasses. 

"You know we need to tip her good."

"Yeah, and not everyone is here."

Jim and Carol roll in, and right behind them was Robb and Kim. We grab the table next to us and push them together along with as many chairs as we could scrounge. The second round arrives just as we get finished.

"We're going to need another pitcher and two more glasses."  Molly looks like she wants to cry.

"Don't look so glum, Molly. We'll behave." Kim gives her a hug. "Let's get a couple Fried Mushrooms."

Connie pops up. "And I'll have a Ham and Cheese Flowerpot."

Molly nods and heads off. She came back with the beer. The table was fnally quiet enough to  hear the band in the corner. The girls began gossiping about someone I didn''t know, something about dating a married guy or something. Robb bragged about a car race he was driving in, while the rest  of us of half listened. The food arrived and the beer began to take its toll. We got louder and the manager started giving us the stinkeye. 

Then it happened. Something set Carol off and she began throwing sugar packets across the table at Connie. Kim tried to grab her, but it was too late. Carol climbed up on stage with the band and began belting out an off-key verson of "Take This Job and Shove It" and the rest of the bar joined in. 

We didn't have to be told. Our night was over. Everybody threw a a fifty on the table and we drug Carol by her ponytail out to the car. The manager called me the next day and thank me for not having to call the cops, but not to show back up for a couple of weeks. 

Sure, Sweetheart. 

I'll do that. 

Comments

  1. Haha. I love Strange Brew and you have created some great characters. This could be expanded upon. ~Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! There's always a wild child like Carol in the group causing shenanigans! Sounds like a fun night while it lasted. KUDOS, Earthling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It’s all fun and games till the sugar packets start flying! Good story! Jay

    ReplyDelete
  4. So so familiar . Could have been any bar scene. Well scripted.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

In Honor of Al Jaffee

The Date (Blogophilia 13.5)