One Day Stand (Blogophilia 14.4)

It was still overcast as they came out. Flurries dotted their faces as they came out of the diner. It was a little early for a big storm, but Chuck had seen it happen before. He saw she was shivering. 

“Winter’s coming and anyone with sense has flown south.”


“I guess I’m the crazy one. I flew north for the winter.” Leaning into the wind, Debbie slipped her arms around his waist and laughed, He was smelly and pudgy. It didn’t matter so was she.“I hope I don’t hit an iceberg.” 


“I’ve got an extra jacket in the room if you need one.” 


The offer told her what she needed to know. She was back in the saddle again.


“You’re sweet.” She pecked his cheek. "Let's get out of the wind."


The pay-by-the-week place was next door. Come in for a spell and stay forever. Chuck slipped the key into the lock and pushed the door open with a flourish. She could tell even in the dim light it was a typical setup. An unmade bed sat in the middle of the right wall, a cheap dresser topped with junk on the left, and a bathroom with a long mirror in the back. A couple of empty beer cans and a half-full ashtray sat on a table next to the window. The whine of traffic filled the room. It was perfect to forget about Michael, Maritza, Tucson, and everything. 


“Home, sweet home.” Chuck closed the door behind them. He seemed embarrassed that it wasn’t more. She slipped off her coat as Chuck made a move toward the light switch. Debbie pulled his hand away and unzipped his coat.


“Don’t.”


“Why?” He slid her coat over her shoulders and put it on the chair. 


Without answering, she kissed him. It took him a moment to return the favor., but it was worth it. The taste of eggs and cigarettes on his tongue was thrilling. The lips were chapped and he hadn’t shaved in days. This was the adventure she had been seeking, think about their cold bodies while she cheated with the last person on earth they would think of seeing her with. 


Looking him in the eyes for the first time, she asked: “Chuck? Am I being desperate?”  


The eyes back looked almost lost. “I-I don't know. I've never had a woman like you." Taking the face in his hands, he whispered. "You’re beautiful. ”


“So are you.”


Magic unfolded in the dim reflections of the mirrors as they danced to the bed. Paradise brought tears and she fell into a dreamless sleep. 


It was 8:00 when she awoke to an empty bed. It all seemed to be a dream. She padded into the bathroom and looked at her image. The stress lines were gone. A thought occurred to her: What was proved tonight, was only imagined a few hours ago. But she remembered who she was and what she had done. He does not deserve me. She dressed and scribbled a quick note.


“It’s time that I move on.”


Debbie locked the door behind her. Through the window of the diner, she saw him paying for the takeout order.  She wanted to have him in her arms forever but murder charges don’t sleep. 


Crying, she put her car in gear and turned toward the border.


It was better this way. 


Comments

  1. Oh my!! A one day stand to forget all about what happened in Tucson, eh? A little bit of night magic to erase the guilt? Hmmmm.... very intriguing write leaves me wanting MORE! KUDOS, Earthling!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed this very much!
    Brian Dewald (I don't have an account)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seems her past is haunting her future. Nice story! Loved the twist in the title: One Day Stand. Jay

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so good at these small but giant writes that make me as the reader want to know more. :) Not on site, but thoroughly enjoyed your story. Rebecca.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice to read you again Christopher. Well done. Can't wait to read more. ~ Christine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done … reminds me of a Harry Chapin song … but without the murder charges. Loved reading & agree I am curious for more 😄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's based on a Harry Chapin song (A Better Place to Be). I've always wondered what the lost lady's story was, so I wrote it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

In Honor of Al Jaffee

The Date (Blogophilia 13.5)