Monday Morning Ramble (Blogophilia 31.11)

We interrupt your story for a vacation.
Is it to Telluride? I wish. I had lunch with a friend yesterday and she showed me a brochure for the house she just contracted for in Aurora. She moves in June. I’ve never been there. John Denver said it was a fantasy in moonlight to get high there (not that I do that anymore). And it sounds so much nicer than Buffalo.
My current fantasy project is called “One Lap of America”. I take a trip around the country to all the sites I’ve been told about over the years. The original plan was thought up when I was in high school and I saw an article in the Whole Earth Catalog on converting school buses into living quarters. It was a nice day dream, but real life got in the way of the mojo. Now I have more time the dream has been rekindled. YouTube is a treasure trove of Nomad attention seekers willing to give me tips and advice.
And, my wife is somewhat on board with it.
We’ve done a couple of trade shows and looked at rigs that would fit. We have also increased the number of short trips (like this one to Nashville) to gauge how long we can be out without having issues. I found my tolerance for being away from home has increased as long as I’m in control of the situation (don’t put me in an airport with an unlimited delay).
In 2005, my family did a road trip up the east coast. It was one of the few times I wanted to fly, but the wife said planes were too expensive. Overall, it worked out for the best and cemented in my mind the allure of floating from town to town with no set itinerary. How long would be do it? I’ll start with two weeks and see where it goes from there. The whole circuit would take 6-9 months, longer if I throw some Canadian stops along the way.
How long before I take off for real? I don’t know for sure. More than a little depends on finances, maybe a year or two. We’ll see.
Last Chance Harvey will be back next week.
Thanks so much for reading me all these years.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Pic guesses: Planes (in blog), take off (in blog), fly (in blog), puddle jumper, float, runway, airport (in blog), sky dive

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In Honor of Al Jaffee

The Date (Blogophilia 13.5)

Mr. Rogers (GBE 2 101)