Hunting Island 1980 (Blogophilia 7.12)

No photo description available.


I have always been a camper and hiker. It is my preferred way to get out of the city and see parts of the country that I otherwise wouldn't.
Back before I was married, I used to go to a state park in Beaufort SC, called Hunting Island. It lies about half way between Savannah and Charleston, making access to either place a snap.
On trick I had learned in my trips down there is if I waited until the day after Labor Day I could get a campsite next to the beach and this year was no exception. I was with my buddy Karl and our site was next to the access boardwalk. We set the tent up and slipped the beer cooler discreetly under the picnic table for our week of fun and sun. And since we are pale people, we spend the time looking like Larry the Lobster.
Late in the afternoon on our second day, we were sitting at the table figuring out where to eat. Our favorite fish shack was closed for a private event and we weren't thrilled about having to go all the way into town. We happened to look up just as the Ranger's golf cart made the turn at the end of the road, so we slipped the beers under the table until he passed.
As I pulled my beer back out, my look across to the site across the road from us. A really nice Class A camper rig as parked there under a massive live oak tree. It had all the amenities for the period,complete kitchen, TV set built with a VCR, queen sized bed. And like most of those rigs then and now, it was occupied by an older couple.
As I watched, I noticed the lady of the house was fixing supper. She had her husband pull the picnic table little closer to the door of the RV. She brought out a flowered table cloth and set everything with real utensils.Next she came out with a little vase of bule and yellow flowers. I couldn't tell if they were real or fake, but Karl and both kind of laughed. It seemed to be a lot of trouble for a meal in the woods.
It was then Karl spotted him in the tree about 25 feet above the lady, a raccoon. And we was looking really interested at what was going on below. Soon a bell rang, and the lady went back into the RV.
She came back out with a little roast. It was pretty little thing and we could smell how good it was. She set it on the table and went back inside to get the rest of supper.
Well, ol' Rocky smelled it, too. We watched as he slipped down the trunk and made a leap at the table. In about 10 seconds, he grabbed the meat and took off. The lady came out with a salad bowl and promptly dropped it when she saw what was happening...
"MY ROAST!!!"
We couldn't stop laughing at seeing the woman take off after the critter with the carving knife.
We ended up seeing the couple at the restaurant later. We were going to speak...but we weren't THAT drunk.
******************
It's writer's choice week.
My topic-Vacation Adventures
Hard Prompt-Class A Camper
Easy Prompt-Larry the Lobster
Pic guesses: First-Fortress of solitude, studio, flatboat, lakeside, still water
Second-blue and yellow (in blog), mother, dream, little woman,
Third-Easter gathering, picnic, spring, formal dress,

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In Honor of Al Jaffee

The Date (Blogophilia 13.5)

Mr. Rogers (GBE 2 101)