Glory Days (Blogophilia 14.39)


A piece of cardboard

Slipped into a folder

As I walk up to the table

Two older men smile and hand out glossies.


Many years ago, they were on separate teams

Each a star in their own right

Locked in a race

For the most home runs hit.that year


I'm kind of nervous

Would he sign this?

And make  twelve-year-old me happy


"Mr. Stargell?"

The grin lights up the room

"Willie." Holding out his hand

"Would you sign my card?"


He takes the card and shows the other man

"Hey, Hank. You recognize this young man?"

"You look good in that." He laughs


Another guy in the crowd pulls out his card



"What about us? Willie asks

"Where have they all gone?"

"We kind of got old," Hank replied

Left them behind


"You boys have made our day."

They said as they gave us our cards back

And the free glossies.

We were happy. 




Note-These are not my baseball cards. I sold my Stargell card not long after his death when a dealer gave me a decent (at the time) premium for it. 


Comments

  1. I had some cards of that era, a touching piece. Bravo ~Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice story. I never went to a card convention, but I did have a pretty good football/basketball card collection in my youth. I was never into baseball. Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The funny thing was, it wasn't a card con. The Atlanta Braves were having a beginning of the season meet-n-greet at the Downtown Macy's store. I was working for the accounting office there at the time. Stargell was the pitching coach and Aaron worked in the front office and was usually available. For a kid who used to get busted with a transistor radio in his ears during class, this was great.

      Delete
  3. Wow, what a thrill to meet and get a legend's autograph! Nice memory crafted into a poem. KUDOS, Earthling!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

In Honor of Al Jaffee

The Date (Blogophilia 13.5)