Pork Chops in Wine (Blogophilia 20.12)

Writer’s choice this week? Since I want to hit #atlbeltline and do a bit of #urbanhiking while dodging kamikaze E-scooters, I’ll do something a little bit different.
Since I’m between contracts, I’ve been doing most of the cooking in the house. It’s fun as long as I don’t have to do the shopping. I leave that part to the wife. She gets off on a price war. She determines the objective, researches the prices, adds the coupons and we all “cheer” her victories over the profits of Kroger.
No, I don’t. I just roll my eyes when the phrase “what are we having for dinner this week” comes up. We’ve had this same conversation for 34 years. What do you want? I don’t know, chicken? If I have that again, I’ll sprout feathers...etc.etc.
So, what is for dinner? Earlier this week, I fixed Pork Chops in Wine. Are you on a budget and can only afford trashy end pieces? This stew will soften them up quick. The recipe comes from a old Junior League cookbook we were given at our wedding. You know the type. All the authors are ladies with three full names who wore their hair in beehives and worked the charity thrift shops. Some of the recipes are good, others not so much. This one was a favorite of ours for a long time, but it had dropped off the rotation for some reason. Anyway, I got a taste for it and I made it last week.
Just put on some good tunes and start to work.
Ingredients:2 Onions-thinly sliced4 tbsp butterPinch of salt4-6 pork chops, seasoned to taste1 cup chicken stock or water1 cup dry white wine (That crappy Chardonnay your sister-in-law gave you for Christmas is fine)1 bay leaf4 carrots peeled and sliced1 lb gold or red potatoes quartered (peeling optional)
In a 5 quart dutch oven, melt the butter. Saute onions with salt until just caramelized, sliding them to the side of the pan when finished. Add the seasoned chops, browning on both sides (about 6 minutes). Slowly add wine, deglazing the pan. Then add stock and let simmer for an hour. Add the vegetables and simmer until potatoes are soft, but not falling apart. If you like, add mushrooms at the end for a richer flavor.
Serve with baguettes, a chilled rosé, and cherry cobbler for dessert.
Serves 6-8.
Since we are down to three in the house, this means lots of leftovers for lunch.
Bon Appétit.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Writers choice
Topic-What’s for dinner?
Hard Prompt- Price war.
Easy prompt-use the word Trashy
Pic guesses: E-scooter (in blog) Comic Con, Couple, On the carpet, Moderns, fun, toys

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In Honor of Al Jaffee

The Date (Blogophilia 13.5)

Mr. Rogers (GBE 2 101)